It’s summer and the kids are saying, woo-hoo school is out, and parents (some) are saying, boo-hoo, how am I going to keep my kids entertained for the summer? Some parents really enjoy the summer and the lack of schedules and some parents feel overwhelmed by the process of trying to fill school hours during the summer.
I have noticed people feeling more on edge recently and realized it is partially due to kids being out of school for the summer , and I also notice at the end of the summer there is a universal sigh of relieve when the kids go back. As an adult you realize summer camp is about parents, not all parents feel this way about summer, but if you do, this blog is for you. Here are some Helpful Hints from Heloise:
- Have some activities and some free time planned
- Enjoy some simple, no cost entertainment of riding bikes, swimming, picnics in the park, movie night or pretend you are at the Drive In if you can watch outside.
- Have kids participate in helping prepare or pick out what is for dinner.
- There is the never ending chore list (which parents appreciate more than kids) and find some balance between chores and time to themselves
- Allow your kids some time to learn how to entertain themselves-reading, crafts, movies, or creating activities for family time
And last but not least:
Take a deep breath and try not to stress too much.you most likely have done this before and can do it again and before you know it school will be back in session.
Orlando Counselor Lisa Beilman practices No Judgement Counseling and specializes in couples counseling, Facebook counseling, stress management, career counseling, conflict resolution, elder counseling and family counseling.