With the economy and people living longer, I hear a great deal about the stressors of caring for elderly parents, while often times still caring for and trying to raise their own children. Have you heard the saying about how it takes an entire village to raise a child? Well, it takes an entire team to care for yourself while caring for your elderly parent(s). Here are some Helpful Hints from Heloise:
- Have a support system- friends, family, support groups and /or respite care for your parents
- If necessary, have an attorney/lawyer to help you with any legal issues
- Take time for yourself- a bath, a book, golf, a night out with friends, a massage, a sporting event or whatever relaxes and rejuvenates you.
- Practice Patience (and remember that you will forget this over and over again)
- Get acquainted with your parent’s medical team (releases may need to be signed) it will make caring for your parents much easier
and last but not least:
- Remember, you are human and this can be very stressful, it’s OK. Try not to be hard on yourself for feeling overwhelmed.
Lisa Beilman is an Orlando Counselor who practices No Judgement Counseling and specializes in Facebook counseling, couples counseling, career counseling, conflict resolution, elder counseling, stress management and family counseling.
This entry was posted on Thursday, June 28th, 2012 at 1:53 pm
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.